Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Protein Pudding/Ice Cream

I have something to confess. I have a massive sweet tooth, more specifically a weakness for chocolate-peanut butter. Ok, I have a small problem when it comes to that deadly combination.  I am pretty dang good with the rest of my diet, but if there is Buckeyes, or New York Cheesecake, or Reese's PB Cups in the vicinity I crumble faster than Coach Klein in the Waterboy.  Hell I'll gladly ablige by having seconds, maybe even thirds.  Some might call it an addiction, but whose counting.

Luckily I have come up with this recipe to put my cravings to rest.  A recipe that's not only delicious, but also healthy and continues to progress you towards your goals.  Let's have a look



Mmmm


Ingredients
  • Chocolate Whey Protein
  • Natural Peanut Butter
  • Water
 Optional
  • Cinnemon
That's it!  Basically 2 ingredients, even if you're like a fish outta water when it comes to the kitchen, you can make this.  Now what makes or breaks this is your protein.  Like I said you should have a chocolate or chocolate-PB flavor.  I've never tried it with a vanilla or fruit flavor, but hey different strokes for different folks.

I've messed around with a number of different protein brands, and they will all give it a different taste depending on the quality of the brand.  Some just have a better flavor and mix better, while others are just naturally not as good.  I would recommend EAS, but while I think these taste the best, I haven't found a brand that I flat out didn't like, so whatever you have will most likely work.

Directions

Put a big ole scoop of the protein in a bowl, but feel free to add as much as you want.  Some days if I feel like getting huge I will add 2-3 scoops.  If you want to add cinnamon, this is the time to do so (highly recommended)

Next add a little water to the protein.  Not too much, just start with 2 tablespoons, you can always add more later.

Then throw in 2-3 spoon fulls of natural PB, and start mixing.  If the mixture is too dry, add some water.  You want the mixture to be similar to the consistency of pudding or yogurt. If the mixture is too peanut buttery (that's like saying I have too much money) add in more protein to balance out the flavor.

Deadly Combo!

Keep mixing until it is smooth and all the ingredients are mixed together.  This should only take about 1-2 minutes, plus you can get a good burn if you mix that shiznit like it's your job!



Now from here you have 3 options.  I'm going to list them from my least favorite to my favorite

1.  If you are hungry and can't resist, you can eat it right now.  This is still a pretty good option, as you will learn.  This would be classified in BBA terms as protein pudding.

2.  If you have some patience, place the pudding in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  Chilling the pudding, in my opinion makes it even better.  Again this would be classified in BBA terms as cold protein pudding.

3.  If you're really patient or are smart and plan ahead, place the pudding in the freezer for 1-2 hours.  What I'll do is mix up the concoction, put it in the freezer, go get my workout in and when I get back it's all set.  The perfect post-workout recovery snack.  This would be classified in BBA terms as protein ice cream.  Mmmmm ice cream after a workout, WHAT!!!!!

Who Said Ice Cream Can't Be Healthy?

That's it, that's all there is to it.  But a fair warning, be prepared to start day dreaming, obsessing, and having uncontrollable cravings for this bad boy.  If uncontrollable cravings last for more than 3 hours, call a doctor.  Or just go make yourself a batch, I mean look at the nutritional punch

1 Serving =
     Protein - 50g
     Fat - 30g
     Carbs - 16g

This guilt-free meal packs a bunch of protein, lots of healthy fats, the wonderful benefits of cinnamon, and isn't filled with sugars, sweeteners, or other fillers.  I would honestly take this over any dessert or sweet, that's how good it is.  You could fool me, and say this was some kind of $15 dessert at a fancy restaurant and I wouldn't know difference.

So try this classic today, but be prepared to be hooked.  Also if your not much of a chocolate person, try out a vanilla or fruit variety of protein and let me know how it goes. Look forward to hearing from you, and as always Go Get 'Em!



2 comments: