BBA Nutrition

You can't talk about sport performance without addressing nutrition. Nutrition is a KEY component in all performance, whether it be on the court or classroom. What we eat and drink, directly influences how we feel, perform, and recovery. You can't talking about being an elite performer, without having elite nutrition.

While were on the topic of nutrition, the number 1 question we receive from athletes is, "What supplements I should take?" The truth is, no supplement is going to make you a better athlete. We'd much rather see well-rounded nutritional changes than a reliance on supplementation. That being said, certain supplements can help bridge nutritional gaps and help increase responses to training. That list is small and finding quality nutritional companies in today's world is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

BBA Sports Nutritionist, Sean Casey, finally fixed all these problems when we formed Dietetic Advantage. It's the only nutritional company we recommend, and you can always count on the quality and specificity of their products, unlike most supplements.
http://www.dieteticadvantage.com/110.html






1. Get enough Protein ~ Shoot for your .75-1g of protein per pound of body weight
  • So if you weigh 125lbs = ~94-125g of protein per day
Healthy Protein Sources:
  • BBA Shake
  • 3 oz - meat (ie - size of a deck of cards) <--- Includes beef, pork, turkey, tuna, chicken
  • 3-4 eggs
  • 3 cups of milk
  • 2 serving of Greek yogurt
  • 1.5 c - cottage cheese
  • 2.5c - dried beans/peas

2. Get more servings of fruits and vegetables

Aim to get a serving of veggies at EVERY meal, so 5-8 servings.  Aim to get a serving fruit at every other meal, so 3-4 servings.  Goal is to eat a wide variety of colors, don’t just stick to 1-3 kinds. 
  • A serving of vegetables/fruits is about the size of your palm

3. Eat quality Carb sources

With your goal of sports performance, eating some extra carbs will be beneficial, especially quality sources like potatoes (white and sweet), rice, whole wheat pasta’s, squash.   Carbohydrates provide the main source of energy which will be supplied during physical activity and during the recovery period.  So it is especially important to have good sources of carbs before and after workouts.


4. Eat healthy fats
  • Try to get 80-130g of fat each day.
Healthy Fat Sources:
  • 1/2c – Avocado 1 tbsp
  • Olive Oil (preferably extra virgin olive oil) 1 tbsp  
  • Coconut Oil 2 tbsp
  • Butter -  use butter in place of margarine - 2 tbsp
  • Peanut Butter – 2tbsp
  • Peanuts~ 30 pieces
  • Almonds ~ 1/4c
  • 3 eggs (whole)

5. Stick to water

Try to avoid Gatorades, energy drinks, soda’s, etc.  Stick to water and get at least ½ your BW in ounces of water – 200lbs = 100oz of water. 
Save the Gatorades and Powerades for really hot days and/or if playing multiple games or especially intense games.  They are great for those times, but outside of that they come packed with excess sugars and empty calories that aren’t beneficial on normal days.

Supplement Suggestions
  • Protein: 20-30g/post workout
  • Creatine: 5g/daily
  • Fish Oil: 1-2g EPA+DHA


                      Eating For Performance

1) Goal: Build Muscle and Size

Pre-Workout (90-180 Minutes Prior): Meal Shown Below
During: Protein Shake
Post-Workout (Immediately after): Protein Shake
Post (1-3 Hours After): Meal Shown Below




2) Goal: Maintain Body Weight, Sports Performance

Pre-Workout (90-180 Minutes Prior): Meal Shown Below
During: Branched Chain Amino Acids or Water
Post: (30-120 Minutes After) Meal Shown Below




3) Goal: Weight Loss, Leaning Out

Pre-Workout (90-180 Minutes Prior): Meal Shown Below
During: Water
Post: (30-120 Minutes After): Meal Shown Below       




Foods In An Athlete’s Kitchen:
     - Cottage Cheese                          - Eggs                                      - Spinach/Kale
     - Avocado                                      - Chicken/Beef                      - Sweet Potato
     - Whey Protein                             - Tuna                                     - Greek Yogurt
     - Nuts/Seeds                                 - Natural Peanut Butter       - Oatmeal

5 Easy Principles of Sports Nutrition:
  1. Eat Real, Whole, Unprocessed Foods
  2. Eat a Protein With Every Meal
  3. Eat a Veggie With Every Meal
  4. Don’t Be Afraid of Fats
  5. 90/10 Rule – Eat Right 90% of the Time, and enjoy/relax the other 10%

Supplements Worth Taking:
  • Whey Protein
  • Creatine Monohydrate
  • Vitamin D (Especially from October-March)

Supplements To Watch Out For:
  • Any Multi-Level Marketing Companies
  • Anything That Makes Extreme Claims – “Miracle Supplement”, “Most Effective Ever”
​​

1 comment: